This is part three of our Back to School series, where we’ll share resources and tips on how to further your education through different Company programs and opportunities. Check out part one and part two if you missed them.
People set goals for themselves in all areas of life – to improve their physical health, balance their finances or pursue hobbies.
So why wouldn’t you set goals for your career development?
No matter where you are in your career, there are ways you can work towards improving and developing yourself and your skill set to reach your professional goals. Check out these four tips from our Talent & Organizational Development team that can help you achieve your next career goal.
1. Learn about yourself: What are your skills and abilities that could enable you to take on more challenging work? What are some areas where you can develop or hone new skills? An essential component to anyone’s career should be skill development, and you can’t develop what you are unaware of.
2. Build strategic relationships: These relationships focus on long-term, personal benefits for both parties involved. Think of what you have to offer and what your goals are professionally. Who do you know that can act as a sounding board or a mentor to help you reach those goals?
3. Check out the LMS: Did you know that being a Mohawk employee allows you to access over 2,000 online courses? Course topics include everything from Excel tips and tricks to help having difficult conversations at work. Search by keywords in the “What do you want to learn?” box on the Learning tab in Employee Central.
4. Never stop learning: No matter what level you may find yourself in your career, just keep learning. Whether it’s through scheduled in-person trainings, one-off online courses, or being involved in a formal learning journey like those highlighted in the last FNA leadership video, keep yourself engaged and growing.
Not sure where to start? Check out these videos available on the LMS that are full of professional development tips:
- Developing for Success: Know Your Skills and Gaps (20 minutes)
- Building Strategic Relationship series (28 minutes, split into 4 videos at 7 minutes each)
- Developing for Success: Best Professional Organizations for You (20 minutes)