The 2019 Independence Day holiday holds a special meaning in Mohawk’s corporate hometown after the company unveiled the largest American flag in the state of Georgia at its Union Grove campus in Calhoun. We’re proud to share a special video with highlights from the flag raising ceremony, which you can view below.
The flag was installed to honor the contributions of thousands of Mohawk employees across the United States, particularly the hundreds of men and women at the Company who spent years in country’s armed forces.
Some key facts about this record-breaking flag:
- Unfurled, the flag stretches to 45 ft. x 75 ft., which is the size of two typical American homes
- The flag flies atop a 130-ft. flag pole that required Federal Aviation Admiration approval
- To hoist the flag to the top of the pole requires 4 minutes of hand cranking by two people
- The flag is weather resistant and is illuminated at night so that it can fly around the clock
- There is a back-up flag on hand in the event of damage and so that the flag can be removed for cleaning each quarter
Visible from heavily trafficked I-75, the flag has already become a familiar sight for motorists and has instilled civic pride among residents in the hometown of Mohawk’s corporate headquarters.
Star Spangled Celebration
Northwest Georgia residents seeking additional patriotic activities can enjoy a traditional Fourth of July in Calhoun. For more than a decade, Mohawk has been the presenting sponsor of Calhoun’s Star Spangled Celebration, which includes food, entertainment and the state’s largest fireworks display north of Atlanta. The family-friendly program at the Cherokee Capital Fairgrounds will run from 5:00 – 10:00 p.m. on July 4 and will complement the traditional fireworks display with a new laser light show. Admission is free.